"Taste the joy that springs from labor."—Longfellow

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Update on Barn Repair

Thought I would check in and give you an update on the progress made toward fixing my tumbled down barn.  Overall, I am pretty pleased with what I have been able to accomplish so far.  The initial demolition has been completed and much of the debris collected, sorted and hauled off or saved for future use.  Hopefully some of the framing lumber can be re-used in the restored structure.

The picture above was taken from about the same place as some of the early pix.  It shows that the barn is only half as long as originally built.  Part of what was incorporated in the barn previously will become open pens for livestock.



This photo shows a closeup of the supporting wall under the westside of the loft.  This will also be one side of the loading chute which is to come.

The new lumber is all treated.  I made the decision to use it based on two facts: The cost of an 8-foot treated 2X4 is within pennies of an untreated one; carpenter bees have done a lot of damage to the untreated lumber I used originally in the thirty years that this barn has been in existance.  The carpenter bee bores a 3/8" hole into the underside of a board or beam.  It then bores a tunnel along the grain of the board in which to lay its eggs and food for the hatched larvae.  This can significantly weaken the framing member.

When I built the barn I used 8d and 16d ring-shank nails.  In this new construction I am using Phillips head 3-inch screws made for treated lumber.  I prefer screws in most kinds of construction now because they are easier to install with a cordless drill-driver, My old elbow doesn't much like swinging a hammer.  The holding power of the screws is far superior to that of even ring-shank nails.  Another big plus is that they can be removed without tearing up the boards when I need to change something.

I have also used some "old school" tools on this project.  When I needed to join a 4X4 and a 2x8, I got out my antique 1/2" auger.  It was originally made for use with a hand brace but was modified to fit my drill-driver.  When I needed to "adjust" the fit of some framing members, I got my antique framing chisel and what is as close to a "Boss" as I have. The large wooden mallets used by carpenters were often referred to as "Bosses". 

These  old tools, and really the whole process of repairing this barn, has caused me to recall and reflect upon the memory of an old gentleman from my boyhood: "Grandpa" Thurlow.  I knew him when I was about 4 years-old.  At that tim he was an old man and worked as the care taker of a cemetary.  I learned later that he had been a builder and repairer of barns.  He will, hopefully, be the subject of another blog post to come.

No comments: