"Taste the joy that springs from labor."—Longfellow

Friday, November 18, 2011

Who's Gonna Feed Them Hogs?



Years ago, country music legend Tom T. Hall made a recording titled "Who's Gonna Feed Them Hogs". It was the story of a man who was deathly ill in the hospital. Though sedated, he kept on wailing the refrain, "Who's gonna feed them hogs?"



After a time, much to the surprise of the doctors, he got out of bed, put on his overalls and went home. He had hogs to feed, don't you see?



Now I'm not sick as sick goes. Yes, I've got a cold and feel crappy but that's no big deal. I did chores today and I'll do chores tomorrow, the Lord willing. I'll just get out and do them, and as much more as I can.



It's funny in a sense. When I was "working" if I felt like I feel today, I could and would "call in" and stay at home. It doesn't work like that now; or maybe it is more accurate to say that I don't work like that now. The chores need to be done, the critters don't care how I feel, they need their feed and water. It is important to me that the work is done. It is my work; my vocation; my calling. It is much less of a chore than "going to work" ever was.





No comments: